Tuesday, July 22, 2008

apostle to the apostles, St. Mary Magdalene

Mark 16:9
Now when he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons.

John 20:1, 20:15-18
Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.
Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?" Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away." Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned and said to him in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means Teacher). Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' " Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord"—and that he had said these things to her.

Apostle to the apostles! How much we have in common with Mary from Magdala.

We too have had the evil spirit cast out of us in Holy Baptism. We too have been transferred from the kingdom of Satan (darkness) into the kingdom of His beloved Son (light).
We too would weep for a world without Jesus. We too need to be asked, “why are you weeping?”
We too have been sent to tell what we have seen and heard.

Mark 16:15 And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.”

No comments: