Thursday, July 17, 2008

jumping to conclusions

Hannah was speaking in her heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli took her to be a drunken woman. (I Samuel 1:13) So much for spiritual discernment from those entrusted with positions of leadership in the church. Simply being in a spiritual office does not grant spiritual insight -- look at Eli's two boys, Hophni and Phineas who "were good-for-nothing priests; they had no faith in the LORD...the sin of Eli's sons was a serious matter to the LORD, because these men were treating the offerings made to the LORD with contempt" ( I Samuel 2:12,17 God's Word).
Reminds me of the Day of Pentecost when "others mocking said, they are full of new wine" (Acts 2:13). Then I recall the Anima Christi prayer with its famous line, Sanguis Christ, inebria me (Blood of Christ, inebriate me). The body and blood of Christ do give the gift of sober inebriation, of prayer in the Holy Spirit (Jude 20) so that with all of our thoughts, words and actions as we are going , we might be "speaking the wonderful works of God" (Acts 2:11).

No comments: