Wednesday, July 2, 2008

led by the Spirit

Sometimes we are given the grace to see things in Scripture that we haven't seen before. I trust this will continue until the Last Day when we will see face to face.
"Let seven priests holding seven holy trumpets likewise pass before the Lord, and let them signal vigorously; and let the ark of the covenant of the Lord follow after them. Let the men of war go in front, and let the priests be the rear guard behind the ark of the covenant of the Lord as they proceed, and sound the trumpets" (Joshua 6:7-8). As the story unfolds, the entire people followed in procession around the walls of Jericho once a day for six days, and on the seventh day they went around the city seven times after which "the priests sounded the trumpets, and when the people heard the sound of the trumpets, all the poeple shouted together with a great and mighty shout. Then the entire wall fell round about, and all the people went into the city" (Joshua 6:19).
What I saw more clearly: the blessing of following the Holy Spirit (always connected to the Word and Sacraments), represented by the number seven (cf. Revelation 1:4) as we go through this life enlisted in the "church militant". Being led by the Spirit results in God's good and gracious will being done among us also, in God's perfect time and in His supernatural way -- always beyond anything we coud have imagined.
Let's join in prayer this day: "Almighty God, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, come to my help and deliver me from this difficulty that besets me. I believe Lord, that all trials of life are under Your care and that all things work for the good of those who love You. Take away from me fear, anxiety and distress. Help me to face and endure my difficulty with faith, courage and wisdom. Grant that this trial may bring me closer to You for You are my rock and refuge, my comfort and hope, my delight and joy. I trust in Your love and compassion. Blessed is Your name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

No comments: